Sunday, March 18, 2007

Variety is the Spice of Life

A fellow author and friend recently asked me why I write a variety of stories. To date, I have several epublications available with different genres. My typical comment is that I’m a Gemini—meaning that I like to try writing different types of stories. It tests my creative imagination and helps me develop my craft as an author. Plus, writing a variety of stories is darn fun too! In other words, writing, for me, is never boring.

My current release, VELVET SEDUCTION, is a contemporary erotic romance novella. This story’s set in a small, southern town with a handsome hero, a spunky heroine and one town 'bad guy'...Anna's ex-boyfriend. Even though it’s only around 30,000 words, I do include several hot scenes because I love the erotic romance genre.

The second story, HOT PURSUIT, is slated for release in April and readers who enjoyed VELVET SEDUCTION will also like HOT PURSUIT. It’s set in the same town, but with a new hunky hero and spunky heroine. However, some of the supporting characters from the first story are also present in the second story. Both of these stories were great fun for me to write too! Having lived in a small town during the conception of my original ideas for both stories, I hoped some of my real-life experiences shine through in these novellas.

CHARADE, my D/s erotica fantasy, was a very different genre to write. I was inspired by Anais Nin’s DELTA OF VENUS and the BDSM classics, STORY OF O & THE BEAUTY trilogy. However, even though I did my research on Dominate/submissive relationships, CHARADE is also an erotica fantasy with several romantic elements. As Ms. Nin once wrote, “Only the united beat of sex and heart together can create ecstasy.”—and that’s what I sought to achieve in this story.

Vampires are both dark and erotic. These nocturnal creatures continually excite and stimulate me as an author and a reader. With my CRIMSON Tales, I wanted a chance to tell my own vampire stories. My M/M tale, CRIMSON AMBROSIA, was the first vampire story I ever wrote.

This story was inspired by the grand matron of vampire fiction, Anne Rice. I thoroughly enjoyed writing the darkly twisted tale of Silas Elmagus and his gypsy lover, Ivan. And, to my pleasant surprise, it has been very well-received by my readers! In 2006, CRIMSON AMBROSIA was one of the Top 10 Finishers at Preditor & Editors Readers Poll (Short Story Other category) and voted Best Alternative Lifestyle by Rites of Romance Reviews.

My second vampire tale, CRIMSON HEART, is a bittersweet romance between Alexander, a vampire, and his Russian love, Natasha. I had great fun writing this story, because it allowed me to explore the feelings and motives of my vampires. Even though it is also a short story, the world I create seemed to flow onto the page! Yes, I intentionally left the ending a bit open and would love to write more in this genre.

I’m also very excited that several other stories have been contracted and slated for release in the near future. These include a magickal erotic romance story set in early 20th century Egypt, a M/M BDSM erotica fantasy with Grecian gods and pleasure slaves and other exciting, erotic tales—so stay tuned for my upcoming stories!

Even though I’m a full-time author, I enjoy the feedback from my readers and fellow author-friends. You are the ones who continually inspire me to hone my writing skills and test my creative imagination! And, last but not least, I’d like to thank my epublishers and editors who allow me to experiment with different genres, making my writing career both fun and enjoyable!

I’d like to end with a fantastic quote by Maya Angelou: “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do and liking how you do it.”

And I’ll second that, Maya!

Hugs to all,
Sabrina )O(


+ + +
Sabrina Luna
Spicy Romance with a Touch of Magick
http://www.sabrinaluna.com
Author of Dark Erotica, Fantasy & Romance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home